Are you LGBTQ+ and disabled? Let us tell you about Quiet Pride!
Pride is great, but it can be very overwhelming, and by its nature can’t be fully accessible. So, we’ve been plotting with Portal Bookshop to put on a low key, gentle gathering specifically geared towards folks for whom official Pride is difficult.
When: Mon, 22 August, drop in between 3.30pm and 6.30pm
Where: York St John University
We know that sometimes queer disabled people don’t feel welcomed in disability focussed spaces, and disabled queer people can’t always access queer spaces. So it’s important to us to make this a welcoming space that’s as accessible as we can make it.
- The venue is wheelchair accessible, with accessible toilets and Blue Badge parking on site and nearby.
- Nearer the time, we will be sending a video with subtitles and voice over to people who’ve signed up. It’ll have information about how to get to the space, where the Blue Badge parking is etc.
- We’re trying to book a BSL interpreter (yes, we did forget people go on holiday in the summer!) and will keep you up to date on our progress. Simply because we have no funding, we aren’t going to be able to have an interpreter available for the full 3 hours but will advertise when they’ll be present.
- There will be at least one extra quiet space
- If you have any other questions, or want to have a contact number for on the day,get in touch and we’ll share a personal mobile number.
Join us with your ear defenders, your mobility aids, or just bring your wonderful self! We want you to feel safe to be your most comfortable self, whatever that means to you.
Please book on so we know how many people to expect. This helps us with planning, making sure the space doesn’t feel too crowded and helps us work out if we need multiple quiet corners.
Book below, or find out more over on Eventbrite.